Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Olympic fever

"Silly things do cease to be silly if they are done by sensible people in an impudent way"  Emma Woodhouse, from  'Emma'

Would you ever consider riding a small sled, that looks like a cafeteria tray, down a frozen track while lying face down and experiencing forces up to 5 G's?  It's silly!  Why is it not so silly when it's Jon Montgomery racing down crazy fast to win the Gold?... well I guess it still kind of is...




I have a confession to make. I am a total winter sports junkie
.... for two weeks..... every four years.
It's only mere chance that it coincides with the winter olympics.

This year I have been especially addicted because the olympics are happening right where I am. I don't know why, but it makes a difference. I am watching more events than I normally do, it helps since there is no time difference. I also feel like I am a part of it because I am so close to it.

I admit it, I have hopped right onto the olympic bandwagon and I'm thoroughly enjoying the ride.

This past weekend I was up in Whistler village to watch the 2-man bobsled races and it was soo much fun. The atheletes are amazing, as always, but I also really enjoyed the general spirit all around. Everyone was wearing their countries flags and colours and cheering for their atheletes, it is all so exciting and festive. I didn't see any arguments or fights and often people were cheering for competitors that weren't even from their country.

In preparation for the event I decided to knit myself some things to show my national team spirit. I knit a red scarf and also red toques with white maple leafs on them for me and my husband, and I did it all in a WEEK!

I have discovered an amazing thing, and that thing is super fat knitting needles. I don't know how I will ever go back to my skinny minnies. I knit a scarf using size 19mm (US35) and it took me maybe a day and a half! I knit the toques on size 12.75mm (US17) and it took a day each! Incroyable! Imponente! Das ist ja toll!

I invented this pattern to make the  O Canada Toque , it's not to late, buy some super fat circular needles and knit a hat with your countries colours to show your team spirit!



1 comment: