Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Bring on the arthritis

Have you no consideration for my poor fingers? You mistake me, my dear. I have the utmost respect for your nerves. They've been my constant companion these twenty years.

I am currently multi-tasking and knitting a few projects at the same time. Not something I would usually do, but in the spirit of the season I am working on making a few special Christmas gifts, of the homemade variety.

One thing I am knitting is knit in the round, on circular needles. I have been working on my scarf so much lately that I have gotten used to my straight knitting needles again. Ah those glorious straight needles, all knit no pain. It's wonderful. Then I switch back to my other project, and it's a whole different story. When I knit with my circulars after a while it feels like my hands are permanently frozen into a claw-like position.

Despite the finger-aches it causes, I actually enjoy knitting in the round. It makes a nice stockinette stitch by simply knitting every row, a kind of brainless type of knitting. If you are an avid reader of my blog here you will remember in a recent post I mentioned sometimes it's nice to be able to think a little about what you are knitting. The crucial word being 'sometimes'. Sometimes it is nice to knit without thinking. Tonight for example, I was able to enjoy a great episode of Glee as well as work on one of my christmas projects.

Sometimes though, when I am knitting in the round I stop to do finger stretches every few rows. Seriously, I do! Someone should write a book or make a video with stretches to do for your fingers when knitting.

Maybe I should youtube it, people make videos for everything these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment