Thursday, April 8, 2010

Easter Basket Bedlam

"If I could but know his heart, everything would become easy."   Sense and Sensibility

Understanding is a valuable thing to posess. It makes difficult things, less difficult, confusing situations, less confusing. You know what they say about people who assume, what about people who presume? Is there any common saying to make you feel stupid when you presume something? They basically mean the same thing right?

I will say that my recent knitting folly came as a result of a presumption made by myself, definetly not an assumption!

There is another saying 'there is no such thing as a stupid question' ? I have never agreed with that, I agree with the idea that if you don't understand something you need to speak up and ask for clarification, but there definetly are stupid questions.

Anyways, I am not sure where I am going with all of this... bottom line, I had a very stupid moment the other day.

On Saturday I saw a cute pattern for a little knitted easter basket with comments that it was a really quick knit and only would take an hour or two to make. I figured I would whip a couple up to hold the little fuzzy chicks the easter bunny was going to bring my kids the following morning.

The pattern seemed simple enough, I grabbed some scrap yarn I had laying in my stash and started knitting away. Three and a half hours later I had finished ONE BASKET!  ONE!

AAAAND it looked nothing like the picture in the pattern, or the pictures from the other projects shown on ravelry. It still looked cute, and I wasn't sorry for the time I spent making it, but STILL, the other one looked cuter... and I still had one more to make... say good-bye to another 3 1/2 hours...ugg. 

I sucked it up, Sunday morning I made another one, and it was cute... kind of.

I read over the pattern again and again and still couldn't find any reason why my little baskets looked so different. I looked at the projects on ravelry again and found the answer in one of the little comments someone wrote about their basket. She said "I modified the pattern a little, so I could knit it in the round."

Wait, WHAT! Wasn't this pattern SUPPOSED to be knit in the round?

Need I go on?

It made sense that it would be knit in the round, baskets are round after all. I read the pattern again and low and behold it was missing those four crucial words. "Join in the round."  WHATEVER!

Apparently knitting on straight needles and seaming up along the side, made all the difference in this case.

I couldn't have even asked a stupid question, it just seemed so obvious to me that if you were going to knit a basket, it would be knit in the round....

If only I had a dashing Mr. Knightley (as seen in the new Emma) to scold me by saying "Better be without sense than misapply it as you do."  I would still feel just as dumb, but would find solace in the attractive man taking such an interest in my knitting endeavours.

I'm only showing you pictures of my basket creations so you think they are cute and aren't seeing what they should've looked like and wishing I had had more sense.




1 comment: